Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. Policy in Support of the Human Right to Water
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. (GMCR) recognizes that water is a critical natural resource that is of strategic importance to our business, our stakeholders, and the communities in which we operate.
In 2010, the United Nations expanded the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to include the Human Right to Water, defined as all people’s right to safe, sufficient, acceptable, physically accessible and affordable water for personal and domestic use.
Consistent with our historical commitment to corporate social and environmental responsibility, we recognize the Human Right to Water and acknowledge the importance of having guiding principles in terms of our responsible use and preservation of this vital resource.
Therefore, GMCR agrees to the following steps to ensure that our business engagement across the globe, first and foremost, respects the Human Right to Water:
- Safety: Commit to preserve the quality of the water resources we utilize in the communities where we operate.
- Sufficiency: Strive to operate in a manner that minimizes impact from our operations on the availability and cost of community water resources.
- Acceptability: In our domestic and supply-chain business relationships we will specifically include access to clean water in our ongoing engagement efforts.
- Transparency: Openly communicate and engage with the communities in which we operate regarding our water usage and conservation initiatives in an ongoing manner.
- Physical Accessibility: Work to assure that our operations will not adversely impact physical accessibility of community members to water resources and will address community concerns in a cooperative manner.